METHOD 1: FINDING THE WIFI PASSWORD IN WINDOWS USING COMMAND PROMPT.
Forgetting our own WiFi password is one of the most common mistakes we often commit. This is the most common scenario of each and every user. In this article we are going to discuss about the same. this approach scan be helpful while “Forensicating ” a network .
To figure out wifi password for a windows based host here we will be using using some elite approaches:using netsh command in windows command prompt is one of them.
What is netsh command
Netsh tool is a command-line scripting utility that allows you to, either locally or remotely, display or modify the network configuration of a computer that is currently running. Netsh tool also provides an useful feature that allows you to run a group of commands in batch mode. Netsh can also save the list of commands into text file for archival purposes or to help you configure other servers in the same way.
You can use the Netsh network administartion tool to perform the following tasks:
- Configure interfaces.
- Configure routing protocols.
- Configure filters
- Configure routes.
- Configure remote access behavior for Windows-based remote access routers that are running the Routing and Remote Access Server (RRAS) Service.
- Display the configuration of a currently running router on any computer.
- Use the scripting feature to run a collection of commands in batch mode against a specified router.
- Open “CMD” (Window + R).
- Now select Run as administrator by right-click on it
- Once Command Prompt is opened,you need to type the following command in it (Replace “XYZ” With your WIFI network name),and hit enter.
SYNTEX:- netsh wlan show profile name=xyz key=clear
After hitting enter, you will see all the details including your WIFI password as key content (as shown in the above picture).
- In case you want a list of your previous WIFI connections, then type this command.
SYNTEX:- netsh wlan show profiles
METHOD 2: REVEALING WIFI PASSWORD USING GENERAL METHOD IN WINDOWS
- First navigate through the system tray and right-click the WIFI symbol.
- Now select OPEN NETWORK AND SHARING CENT.
- Now click on change adapter setting. Since I am using windows 7 theme here,so you might find a little change in the icone,but I assure you that the method is same in windows 7, windows 8, windows 10.
- Now right click on the WIFI network and select status on the drop-down menu.
- Now click on wirless Properties in the resulting pop-up window.
- Click on Security and then Show characters to find out the password of your current WIFI network.
METHOD 3: RETRIEVE WIFI PASSWORD IN MAC USING TERMINAL
- Press CMD+SPACE to open SPORLIGHT, and then type terminal to open the terminal window.
- Now enter the following command (replace “XYZ” with your WIFI network name and press enter) and then enter your MAC username and password.
SYNTEX:- security find-generic-password -wa xyz
//ADD IMAGE HEAR//
- Your WIFI password of the current network will appear in plain text.
METHOD 4: EXTRACTING WIFI PASSWORD IN LINUX
- Press CTRL+ALT+T in order to open the terminal in linux.
- Now type the following command (replace XZY With your WIFI network name) and then entrer your linux username and password.
SYNTEX:- sudo cat /etc/NetworkManager/system-connections/XYZ | grep psk=
//ADD IMAGE HEAR//
- you will find your WIFI password there,in case your want to know the network name,type the following command.
SYNTEX:- sudo grep psk= /etc/NetworkManager/system-connections/*
METHOD 5: FINDING WIFI PASSWORD IN ANDROID
Requirements :- ROOTED ANDROID AND ES File EXplorer
Steps to View Saved Wifi Passwords In Android
- Move up a folder (to the root folder) in ES File Explorer and you will see a directory called data.
- Go to data/misc/wifi folder and you will find a file named wpa_supplicant.conf. Open the file and make sure you use ES File Explorer ‘s built-in text/HTML viewer for the task.
- Now in this file you will be able to see the network SSID and their passwords next to it.
- Now note down the network name and its password.
In this way you will be able to view all saved wifi password in Android Device,Windows,Linux,MAC.
NOTE:- Please do not edit anything in wpa_supplicant.conf as it can alter your device working or it will have affect on ouw wifi connectivity.
Digital Forensic Forest is an initiative to exchange and share knowledge. Digital Forensic is quite new field. people are keen to learn about Digital Forensics and process but very few sources are available to learn. Digital Forensic Forest is an active and open platform which promotes people to share any ideas and ask any technical problems to each other. We welcome all kind of quires and suggestion to improve this.
This Blog doesn’t only limited to technical stuff we are also working on Digital investigation techniques as well. very soon you will find post related to this. If someone wants to post his/her research work for to help others kindly let us know.